Monday, September 12, 2011

Alternate GCs

Is anybody out there using or relying on the alternate GCs besides
GMS? I think I want to rip the older ones out. Right now, because GCs
are pluggable, we have to go through an indirect function call for
every single GC API call, and the C optimizer can't really do anything
with that. I want to rip out the alternate GC cores and flatten some
of the call graphs, to give the C compiler some opportunities to
optimize the hot paths. I will put together a branch soon, but I want
to double-check nobody relies on the old GC cores for any purpose.

The idea of pluggable GCs is great in theory, but right now we only
have one viable option and we're paying a penalty (possibly only a
modest one) to provide backwards compatibility with other options. I
want to explore the tradeoffs here and see if we are making a good
decision.

Thanks,

--Andrew Whitworth
_______________________________________________
http://lists.parrot.org/mailman/listinfo/parrot-dev

No comments:

Post a Comment