Thursday, September 8, 2011

[TOS] Looking for help with developing software for SIGCSE student volunteer coordination

I sent the note below to the SIGCSE list. Since I want to do and/or use an open source project, I thought I would leverage this group on the same project.
==============================================
MaryAnne Egan and I are the student volunteer coordinators for SIGCSE 2012. The logistics solutions for working with the student volunteers (registering, scheduling, etc.) has recently been done in ad hoc ways. I'm hoping to begin a more holistic software solution to this problem. Ideally it would start from an open source project but certainly be released as open source software. I'm asking for your help in two areas:

1) I have a few students at Beloit College who are interested in pursuing this activity as an independent project. I'm interested to see if there are other institutions interested in being involved. This would entail doing the design and implementation. I think we can use more people and the final solution is likely to be improved with a diverse team. It will also give the students experience with collaborative software development. The software needs to take shape toward the end of the year and be ready for use in early 2012. I'm happy to give more details to anyone interested.

2) Do you know of open source software that might be a candidate for using/modifying for this project? If so, I would be pleased to hear your suggestions or ideas.

Many thanks and I look forward to seeing many of you at SIGCSE 2012 - along with your student volunteers who get their registration paid for their invaluable help (hint, hint :-)

Steve
_______________________________________________
tos mailing list
tos@teachingopensource.org
http://lists.teachingopensource.org/mailman/listinfo/tos

No comments:

Post a Comment